“Employees who believe that management is concerned about them as a whole person – not just an employee – are more productive, more satisfied, more fulfilled.” – Anne M. Mulcahy (First Female CEO of a Fortune 500 Company)
For a janitorial service provider, the quality of the on-ground team is crucial for long term success. Maintaining the quality of its workforce, on the other hand, is contingent on its capability to keep them on-board with a low employee turnover. Maintaining employee turnover below industry average is an important indication of a stable janitorial company that can deliver customer satisfaction consistently. Additionally, reduced employee turnover for a janitorial company also correlates to successful operations, improved productivity, and stronger customer relationships.
While it is a known fact that the janitorial industry faces the challenges of a systematically high employee turnover, it is crucial to recognize that with the right strategy and techniques, workforce stability can be achieved. The key is to understand the motivations that encourage employees to stay and find feasible ways to use them to influence employee performance and turnover. At the same time, the ‘new normal’ work world has also made it important to design employee recruitment and retention strategies to address labor shortage issues. Some of the most effective practices prioritize the grown and development of employees along with valuing their hard work to boost job satisfaction. When an employer appreciates its workforce, they will reciprocate it through their performance and productivity. Other internal practices that are useful for janitorial companies to recruit and retain employees include:
- A dedicated recruitment team with full-time focus on accessing multiple channels and expand pool of candidates
- Employee referral program to encourage the team to create awareness about ongoing recruitment among people they know
- Comprehensive training program designed for growth and development of both, current and new employees
- Cross training program for expanded scope of work and skills set
- Employee health and safety training protocols for workplace safety compliance
- Recognition and rewards programs to value the performance and perseverance displayed by deserving employees
ESS works with a dedicated team of in-house recruiters and trainers to build a productive and motivated workforce that can deliver services according to the unique scope of work for a variety customers. We have also successfully maintained employee turnover lower than industry average throughout the labor shortage crisis. To learn more about a results-oriented recruitment program followed by a comprehensive training program to impact service quality, employee engagement, and turnover, don’t hesitate to get in touch!